Sunday, March 4, 2012

3/3/12

Noon Position: 47 40'S, 11 54' W, SOG 5.9, COG 145, Day's Run 98nm.
The breeze gradually died all night, and I woke up this morning to a
dead calm, which is always nice to take advantage of for little
maintenance projects. In the course of my meanderings about the deck I
discovered a half cracked weld on the bracket that holds the clutch pin
on the monitor wheel adapter, which connects my windvane for self
steering to the wheel. Needless to say, I am not impressed - I'm glad I
caught it now, instead of suddenly losing steering in the midst of a
gale, but I spent the morning swearing under my breath and muttering
dire imprecations towards the good folks at Monitor and their rugged
offshore capable products. 3 hours later, with the help of two custom
made semi-countersunk machine screws and one impromptu rivet made from a
broken tap, I'm back sailing again, this time in a building easterly
wind. It seems like every time I've done a project in the last few days
I end up bleeding and swearing at various inanimate objects. Needless
to say, today was not an exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment