Tuesday, April 24, 2012

4/24/12

Noon Position: 42 57' S, 132 33' E, SOG 5, COG 090, Day's Run 121nm.
The odd foggy drizzle of this morning is slowly clearing, and we're
still moving along in relatively light air towards Tasmania. Yesterday
I spent the morning in company with 3 black browed albatrosses, one grey
headed albatross, a few fairy prions, and one crazy looking bird that
looked like a black petrel that had gotten into a white paint fight with
a bunch of kindergartners. One of the black browed albatrosses buzzed
me 6 or 7 times, whipping by the running backstay close enough to reach
out and touch before flopping down in the water alongside, giving me a
vaguely disgruntled look, then waddling back into the air. Passed my
first piece of trash today as well - a brown bottle, apparently corked -
maybe it had a message in it! Unfortunately I didn't see it until it
was well astern, so I'll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment